Blocking sites stop your kids to open unsafe sites because they are wasting more time on PC (Laptop) instead study or seeing inappropriate things. They can also visit the malicious site or download any harmful program which may corrupt of Operating System. The best solution is to block sites. There are many different ways to block websites but In this article, I will show you 3 simplest method to block websites.
Block Website Using Host File
- Open your Windows start menu, search for the notepad and then right-click the notepad icon and select Run as Administrator.
- In Notepad go to File > Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- The folder will be empty as it’s only showing *.txt files. Change it to All Files in the bottom right of the folder.
- Select HOSTS File which is a text file and click Open to edit it.
- Start a new line at the very bottom under last localhost line.
- Type 127.0.0.1 at the beginning, press Spacebar or TAB key, then write the URL of the website you want to block. For Example, 127.0.0.1 www.youtube.com to block Youtube site.
- If you want to block multiple sites, simply hit “Enter” again to go on a new line. Add the 127.0.0.1 and then the website URL. You can block unlimited sites using this way.
- Once you were done, File at the top left in Notepad and select Save.
- Your sites should be blocked on all browsers 🙂
Read Also: How to use Mobile Internet on PC (3 Methods)
Block Websites on Router
Using this technique you can block any websites and also who connected to this wifi.
Login to Wifi Settings
- Open the web browser and type IP address in the address bar (default is http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1). Press Enter. The username and password are both “admin”. If you don’t know what is the IP address of your router then open Command Prompt and type
Note: Enter Username and Password to Login to modify settings of your adapter. You don’t know the username and password then contact your Internet service provider ISP.
I am using TP-Link router and recommended you use TP-Link Router to get more specifications.
- Once you login to your wifi settings. On Left bar, go to Access Control > Host, then click Add New.
- Here is three option; Mode, Host Description, and LAN IP Address:
⇒ In Mode, there are two options; IP and MAC Address, select IP Address from a drop-down list.
⇒ Enter a short description in the Host Description box.
⇒ Type LAN IP Address range means if you router IP Address is 192.168.1.1 then type 192.168.1.2 ~ 192.168.254 in given box. Click on Save.
Go to Access Control > Target then clicks Add New from left bar. The page you will see is Creating Target Entry, here are many other options:
⇒ First option is Mode, now select Domain Name from a drop-down list.
⇒ Second, type a website name or anything in the Target Description box.
⇒ The next and important option is Domain name. Enter the keywords you would like the router to block instead of typing full web addresses. Example, I want to block www.google.com, simply type google in given box. It will block any domain that contains google word. Once, you enter the domain name, click Save.
Click on Access Control > Target then clicks Add New from the left panel.
Now you will see Advanced Schedule Entry, If you want to block certain websites, not all the time, but for a specific time, you may configure the Schedule time here. Click on Save.
Now click on Rule under Access Control, enable Internet Access Control and click on Deny radio button. Click on Save to apply all changes. Finish.
Now visit any site you block just now to check.
Block Website Chrome Browser
This is one of the easiest and simplest methods to block websites on chrome. This is a powerful and popular chrome extension to block websites on Chrome.
- First, you need to Install this Extension.
- Click ADD TO CHROME.
- A dialog will appear, Click Add Extension.
- Click the icon that will appear on the right of the address bar and select Options.
- To block a website or particular page, then copy the URL of that web page and paste it given box and click on Add page.
- If you want to block particular words in the URL, then go “Block words” from the left bar then enable Custom List and add words which you want the block in the URL.
- If you want to block certain websites, not all the time, but for a specific time, click on Active Days and Time and configure here.
When you visit blocked sites you set just now, you will block message.
More Useful Articles
Feel Free to ask if you still have any query, comment below. I am here to help you.