In this tutorial, I will teach you how you can convert/change the Dynamic to basic disk. Due to limitations, you cannot convert dynamic to basic without data loss manually. With basic disk, you can use BitLocker on drives. Basic disk supports all windows version even in DOS. Basic Disk is more useful than Dynamic. In this article, I will show you three methods to Convert Dynamic to Basic. In one method, you can convert without loss data using 3rd Party Software. In others, you cannot convert without losing data.
Read Also: How To Use BitLocker on Drives without TPM
Convert Using EaseUS Master Partition
In this method, you can convert easily without losing data with the help of software called “EaseUS Partition Master”.
Active EaseUS Master Partition For Free
- First, you need to an EaseUS Partition Master Software. It is paid software but I tell you the tricks to Active this Software free. This software is full of features. See features list here.
Note: We should need to active this software because we are not able to convert dynamic to basic disk in a trial version.
- Install and Launch EaseUS Partition Master Software, and go to the main screen.
- Right click the dynamic disk and click on “Convert to basic disk“.
- A new Activation screen will show, click on Active Button. Now it asks for License Key.
- Now disconnect your Internet from PC and open Key Generator .rar file. Double-click on Keygen.exe file.
- Once, you open KeyGenrator, click on Generate. A license code will show, copy it and paste in EaseUS Activation box. Click Active.
- You will get Connection Error, from here copy Machine Code and paste it in KeyGenerator box.
- You will get Activation Code automatically, copy it and paste in EaseUS Partition Master Activation Code box. Click on the OK button. You will get a success message if you did carefully.
Convert Dynamic to Basic Disk
- Once, your software is active, Right click the dynamic disk and choose “Convert to basic disk“.
- It will take few seconds to checking the drives. Once, its done click on Apply button to convert dynamic disk to basic disk.
- Now it asks for shutdown the computer to Apply changes, click Yes.
- Your computer restarts one or more times to complete the process.
- Once the process is done, you will see the dynamic disk has become basic disk in Windows Disk Management.
You can also create, delete, resize, wipe or format disks using this software.
Convert Using Windows Disk Management
- Back up all volumes on the disk if necessary.
- Press Win key + R and type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Disk Management.
- Right-click on each volume and select Delete Volume.
- After deleting all volumes, right-click on unallocated Dynamic Disk and select Convert to Basic Disk.
If you want to keep your data, you need to make a backup in any safe location.
Convert Using CMD
You can convert with some commands of Command Prompt. This method will lose your all data from your Disk. I suggest to make a backup of your important data and save it in a safe location like USB or clouds.
- Open Command as Administrator.
diskpartin CMD to open the disk part console. Hit Enter.
- At the DISKPART prompt, type
list diskand press Enter key. This command displays a list of disks and information about them. Make note disk number you want to convert to Basic.
select disk <disknumber>. This command selects the disk you want to modify.
Detail Diskand hit Enter. Remember volume numbers.
- At the Diskpart prompt type:
select volume <volumenumber>then type:
- Delete each volume which are on the list. Otherwise, you cannot able convert it.
- Once you were done, type:
select disk <disknumber>again.
- Finally, type:
convert basicand hit Enter Key.
Remember: Alway backup your important data on the safe place like USB, Google Drive etc before processing. Otherwise, your data loss permanently.
Now choose any method which is suitable for you. I suggest selecting First Method.