I am going to show you how you can password protected your Fixed Drive. Sometimes your drive contains many sensitive files or other private data and doesn’t want to share these with others. BitLocker helps to protect and secure data stored on OS drives and removable data drives. The password should require decrypting the drives.
Before starting, your disk should be Basic, otherwise, BitLocker will work. Read this tutorial: How To Convert/Change Dynamic Disk To Basic Without Losing Data
Read Also: How To Hide/Change IP Address of your PC
Password Protected Your C Drives
Password unlock method is different on C drive or where your OS is installed. After setup BitLocker on C Drive, you will see Bitlocker Prompt when you start your PC, you need enter password here instead of login to your desktop.
- Open File Explorer, you will see windows drives. Right-click C drive and select Turn on BitLocker.
- In the beginning of setup, you will see two options; Insert a USB Flash Drive and Enter a Password.
⇒ If you select USB Flash Drive, then you need to insert USB each time you when you start you PC.
⇒ If you select Enter a Password, you need to enter the correct password to decrypt your drive.
Select Enter a Password option. Click Next.
- In Next screen, enter a password for your drive. Your password should strong containing upper, lower letters, and numbers. Click Next to continue.
- The next “Recovery Key” is very important. In case, if you have trouble to unlock your drive or forget a password, this recovery key used to access files or folder from a drive. Save it in a safe place. Click on Next.
- Select how much of your drive to encrypt. Select the option which is suitable for you. I suggest selecting the first option “Encrypt used disk space only (faster and best for new PCs and drives)“.
- On next page “Encryption Mode”, select New encryption mode (best for fixed drives on this device). Click on Next.
- Make sure Run BitLocker system check option should be checked, and click Continue.
- Finally, restart your computer to start the BitLocker encryption process.
- When your PC reboot, you will see BitLocker prompt. Type the password and press Enter.
Press Esc key from the keyboard if you lose your unlock method. You’ll be able to enter your recovery key.
Read Also: How to Block People from Using your WiFi
Encrypt your Other Drives
In other drives, encryption and decryption process is very easy. Once you setup BitLocker, you just double-click on the drive and a password box will show. Enter password in it and unlock it. Simple….
- Open File Explorer, right-click on Removable drive and select Turn on BitLocker.
- A BitLocker Drive Encryption windows will open, check the Use a password to unlock the drive checkbox.
- Now enter Encryption Password for the drive. The password should contain Capital and Small words, numbers, and symbols. Click on Next to continue.
- The page is Backup your Recovery Key, you will need to select where you want to save the recovery key if you forget the password for your drive. Select anyone and continue.
- The next is how much your drive to encrypt, choose option carefully. Click Next.
- Choose the encryption option that suitable for your scenario:
⇒ Encrypt used disk space only (faster and best for new PCs and drives)
⇒ Encrypt entire drive (slower but best for PCs and drives already in use)
- In encryption mode page, select New encryption mode (best for fixed drives on this device). If you select Compatible mode, you can unlock the drive if you move it to another computer running a previous version of the operating system.
- Finally, click the Start encrypting button. Wait until the process is complete.
- When you start your PC, you will be able to unlock this drive with the password. Double-click the drive, password box will show. Enter password and Unlock.