Within a normal home network, the bandwidth is shared by all computers. This means any computer using high-bandwidth applications, for example, torrent programs or other P2P software, will affect the other computers. This may also include negative influence on the performance of the entire network. You want to limit the internet bandwidth of other WiFi users in your house or friends and you want to get most of the bandwidth that my WiFi is giving them because you not getting enough speed for browsing, watching videos etc.
The answer is Bandwidth Control, which is designed to minimize the impact caused when the connection is under heavy load. Using Bandwidth Control, we can assign a specific minimum or maximum bandwidth for each computer, which means they have less interference on each other. Please follow the steps below to configure this feature.
In this tutorial, I will teach you how can I control the bandwidth allocation of my WiFi router. I am using TP-Link and recommended you use TP-Link Router for more specifications.
Steps: Set Limit Wifi Speed For Others
- Open the web browser and IP address in the address bar (default is http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1). Press Enter. The username and password are both “admin”. If you don’t know what is the IP address of your router then open Command Prompt and enter ipconfig/all
- Enter Username and Password to Login to see all settings of your adapter. You don’t know the username and password then contact your Internet service provider (ISP).
- If you want to set the limit on any device then you should need to know the IP Address of that device. Go to DHCP->DHCP Clients List page, you can find the IP address of the all the devices which are connected to the router.
- Click on Bandwidth Control>Control Settings on the left menu and enable Bandwidth control rules will take effect. Click Save to save the Settings.
NOTE: You will see Egress Bandwidth (The upload speed through the WAN port) and Ingress Bandwidth (The download speed through the WAN port) should be the real bandwidth given by your ISP. (1Mbps=1024Kbps). You can also change it according to your requirements.
- Click Bandwidth Control -> Rules List on the left page, you can view and configure the rules. Click Add New to add a new rule.
⇒IP Range (Important): Add IP Address of any device you.
- Now enjoy your speed 🙂
Recommended: How to Block People from Using your WiFi